Wednesday 22 February 2012

21st February – Day 18
Today was the big fishing day that we had come to Arno Bay for. I have to tell you, the wind and sea was vicious!
We had an easy start, for a usual fishing expedition. We met at the ramp at 8am. There were six of us on the charter. Because of the tide, and when the change was expected, Ash decided that we’d do some whiting fishing before we headed out to the snapper grounds. We also did some crabbing. I think that was the clincher for 2 of the people on board, going around and around and around picking up the crab pots made them very sea sick. Dean, the older chap ended up being ok by the end of the day, but the young girl Sarah was out for the count the entire trip. Once we got out to the snapper fields it was rods down. Whilst we were fishing, Ash was catching little fish to use as live bait. So we waited, and waited – occasionally a fish was brought in, here size is 38cm, but Ash prefers people only to keep 40cm and over. We got a couple of them, I got nothing. Then I had a great bite and I got a bit excited and did all the wrong things and lost it. Not long after that, I got another bite, and I was thinking over and over in my head all the things Carl’s told me about what to do when you get a bite, the minute I knew I had him, I yelled out, “I’m on”.  Everyone had to pull in their rods, and all of them were standing around encouraging me and all giving me instructions on what to do – All I wanted to do was get the bloody thing in the boat as my arms were aching from the weight of it. It was peeling off line as fast as I was trying to wind it in.  Once I landed it, I couldn’t stop smiling, Carl couldn’t either, and he was so thrilled for me!  It was 76cm in length, don’t know how much it weighed, I presume a lot! 5kg+
I was an expert at crabbing and now also an expert at Snapper fishing – what else can I try!
The guys were more intent than ever on getting a big one after that, as one of the guys said, can’t let a woman show us up!
The boat landed about 5 x 40cm ones, one about 55cm, another one the size of mine, and a huge 95cm one. Unfortunately it wasn’t Carls turn to get a big one this trip; he’ll have to wait for another time.
Once we got back to the caravan park, Dean & his wife (she didn’t come out with us) and I cooked the crabs – about 14 massive ones – Dean goes crabbing at Ardrossan every year and he said that he’s never seen them this big. Luckily I brought my big boiler as I tried to put one of the smaller ones in my large saucepan and I couldn’t fit it in as the body of it wouldn’t fit, let alone the legs!  Carl & young Luke filleted the fish and divided it all up. The young girl Sarah went straight to bed! Rob didn’t stay or want any of his fish as he was leaving last night and had nothing to store it in.
Dinner for me was Crab – so sweet! Carl had King George whiting – yummo!!
Looks like we’ll be eating a lot of snapper in the coming weeks!
Until tomorrow xx
                                                Deb's Big Catch!
                                          Notice the Swell in the Background!
                                             Two Happy campers!
                                                    10kg of Fish that I came to catch, but didn't.


20th February – Day 17
We woke up this morning and it was like a mass exodus out of the Caravan Park, place was empty! We had another leisurely day, needed to do the washing and housework (I swept the floor!) We headed in to Cleve to have a look around, as once again, the weather is very overcast and windy. Cleve is where May Gibbs grew up and the area supposedly influenced her many Gumnut Baby books – not sure where they think she got the inspiration from, maybe the place was a lot different back in 1880, or maybe it was just the same and she had to have an imagination to get her through the days! Very slow wheat farming town.
We had lunch then headed back to the van, and the usual flow of travellers started coming in.  We are finding, that people start to arrive to settle in for the night between 2 and 4 in the afternoon, then leave between 8 and 9 in the morning, we travel the same as well.
We went down to the surf beach, but the wind made it prohibitive to fish, so I caught a nap instead! We were chatting to an old bloke who has been on the road with his wife since 2005! They have a huge van, he says he’d give her anything to keep her on the road; she’s even got an ironing board! So many different people, with so many different stories to tell!
From the jetty here you can see the tuna farms  further out, a couple of young Italian boys have just landed themselves a job out there feeding the fish, they told Carl that how long will depend on how seasick they get – it’s pretty rough out there.
It’s all systems go for tomorrow, so tonight I’ll need to get things ready. We don’t have an early start, which is good, 8am at the Marina. Apparently we are to do some whiting fishing before the turn of the tide, then head out for the snapper. It might be along day, so I think I need to get an early night.
Until tomorrow. Xx
Arno Bay Jetty

19th February – Day 16
Today hasn’t been the best of weather. We woke at about 3am to terrible winds, then thunder and rain by about 6am. It’s been very overcast and showery – but we’re still in shorts and t-shirts!
We had a very leisurely start to the day – I’d think I read half a book by lunch. Once the weather picked up we went down to the local surf beach. Most of the beaches here are covered in sea grass – up to 2 feet in height where we are. Carl was a happy little fisherman – landed 3 yellow fin whiting and a Tommy rough in about 1.5 hours.
I think I have mentioned in the past that Tommy rough are something that these SA people fish for, and keep – no size or bag limit. So we tried some tonight for entree – it was the size of most of the ones we had seen caught – hmmm! Taste was ok, but you’d need a heap to make a feed! Might try and smoke it next time, they’re like a herring
Whiting was yum!
Spoke on Skype to the kids tonight. The boys were so funny. Lennon got all silly, as you do when you’re 4. Eli, he wanted to watch Chipmunks with Pa. Pa told him that they were on holiday with us (they’re on a movie on our laptop) Eli told us that he was going to get on a train and visit. Next thing we see, Lennon is telling us that he’s just going to drop off Eli and his bag and then he’ll go home. In the distance we see Eli sitting on his Thomas the tank train, bag on the back, heading for the front door. We had to close off as he was getting too upset that he couldn’t visit Pa – dear little thing!
Thank goodness my dear boy is a landscaper – he has mown and cared for my garden! Thanks my lovely!
Carl has gone down to the jetty to hopefully get me a squid. We go on our fishing trip on Tuesday, hopefully for Carl’s sake that we get some decent Snapper.
Until next time – xx
Sea Grass Caravan Park in Back Ground

18th February – Day 15
We packed up and drove to Arno Bay this morning along the way we say Iron Duke, an Iron ore cut – huge!
We are going to stay for about 5 nights.
Caravan Park is full with travellers. People coming and going along the coast, very interesting to talk to them all. We are learning so much.
We have already made notes about things we need to do before the next trip – special shockers and  a car fridge/freezer with all the wiring – will be worth its weight in gold!
Carl has just come back from the jetty, he’s still learning about squid catching! They seem to fish for squid, whiting and Tommy rough off the jetties.
We are booked to go on our fishing trip on the 21st. The beach is like the rest of the coast, huge amounts of sea grass washed up on the sand.
Until next time!
xx                                                           Caravan Park @ Arno Bay
                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment